East Kent Yeomanry Cavalry 1794-1827
In April 1794, troops were raised at Nonington, Deal, Wingham, Lydd, Denton, Elham, Rolvenden, Isle of Thanet and Provender.
In 1797, Troops were called out for the first time in aid of the civil power and sent to the Isle of Sheppey to help deal with the mutiny of sailors at the Nore
In 1803, the troops were incorporated into a Regiment to be known as East Kent Yeomanry Cavalry.
The Regiment continued in service after the Napoleonic Wars with the particular role of duties in aid of the civil power. In 1827, the Government disbanded Yeomanry Regiments in those counties where they had not been called upon to act in aid of the civil power in the previous 10 years.
This applied to both the East and West Kent Yeomanry.